TOPIC: “Soaring Birds of Prey”
Few people have been more involved in US soaring than Karl Striedieck. A former USAF and Pennsylvania ANG pilot, he was the US representative for Schleicher from 1974-86. He has accrued 18,000 hours of flying time with 8,500 in gliders.
Karlâ€™s soaring competition achievements include:
- Lilienthal Medal 1971 for world record flights in the Appalachians
- 9 World Records
- US Team member 13 times Silver medals 1978 (France) and 1981 (USA)
- First place in last Smirnoff Derby 1978
- 115 regional contests and 70 national contests
- Winner 17 national contests
He has offered ride-along flights at contests in a Duo Discus for 12 years and raised $40K for the US team with his efforts. He operates a winch launch school out of his Eagle Field in Central Pennsylvania where he has lived for 50 years.
Karl has practiced falconry for 25 years and holds a Master Falconer rating.